divendres, 5 de desembre del 2008

Writing process of "The Shawshank Redemption" Review

First of all I have readed the top 3 reviews in www.imbd.com: Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times , Variety.com [Leonard Klady] , Guardian/Observer. Then I have looked at the link provided by the professor, http://www.xtec.cat/~vfeliu/writing/revi3.htm that explains how to do film reviews. After reading the professional reviews in imbd.com I have realised that the structure proposed in the link was too rigid, and the professionals opted for a more freedom structure. So, I have decided to mix the both options. I have started with the credits (some critics don't) and I have done a plot. Then I have started with my personal opinion and interpretation of the film. In this part I haven't followed a previous structure, I've just wrote instinctively but in a orderly way, trying to close the text with a kind of a conclusion.
The main problem that I have had, is that I wanted to say lots of things but I didn't know how to say it in English.
I have wrote the review very slow because I needed to write and re-write over and over again in order to make it intelligible.
I have learned different new words like staging (posada en escena), pace (ritme; no és rythm), lead (dirigir), hammer (martell) or new expressions like What strikes you most (el que més impacta), is well worth seeing (val la pena de veure-ho), as the years go by (en el transcurs dels anys). When reading the reviews I have to consult constantly the dictionary because the vocabulary was pretty difficult.
I would like to say that I found it extremely usefull, I have enjoyed doing the review and I think that I will imporve my writting skills, specially the vocabulary.

1 comentari:

Josep Jutglar ha dit...

I'm glad to see you enjoyed the process of writing a review. As you see it's not so easy and the reviews you might find in imdb.com are difficult, each reviewer has a particular style. Whenever you have problems to express your views, try to write as simple as possible and do not think in Catalan but in English straightforward. You've done a good task with the vocabulary, Pol, you should try to spot from the real reviews as many different recurrent phrases / sentences as possible that you might try to use later on in your own reviews.